Friday 21 August 2015

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Hiii today I thought I'd share my thoughts on Harper Lee's 'To Kill A Mockingbird.' I started reading this whilst I was on holiday but when I came home, it did get put on the sideline but fortunately I managed to finish it on Wednesday! 



For a while now, To Kill A Mockingbird has been a book that I've always wanted to read and has been on the list of 'must read before I die.' With 'Go Set A Watchman' being released not long ago, I thought 'Why not read it now?' So I did. And it is honestly one of the best books I've ever read. 

90% of the time with a book, at the beginning I'll struggle to fully engage with all the characters and I feel like there's something that I'm not quite understanding about the characters or the plot. With this book, it was completely different. At the beginning on Part One, you're introduced straightaway to the main characters and you learn so much about their past in the space of a couple of pages. I think that's what makes the book so good because you remember their past throughout the book, making it easier to understand. 

This book is so important, from when it was written and even now. The main thing that captures my attention, and probably many others is the fact that it deals with adults and childrens attitudes towards racism, equality and class. It's common to see either an adults or child's view but to have them both running along side each other is such a powerful tool. 

The characters in the book are quick to point fingers and you realise during the trial at the end of the book that they were all falsely accusing an innocent man because of his roots. There's only 4 people in the book who stand up for this man, two of whom are children. The book is so open to the fact that children haven't listened to everyone else and they've made their own judgement on this innocent man. I think that's what is missing in today's society, people are too quick to judge. 

There's also something beautiful and magical about the way one of the children, Scout Finch, treats a certain character in the book, Arthur Radley. If you've read the book, you'll understand exactly what I mean. Despite what everyone says about Arthur Radley, the first time she meets him, she puts all of the gossip to one side and gets to know him from her own judgement. I can't really explain the scene because it just wouldn't do the book justice. 

Whatever I write about this book isn't going to do it justice because the book is absolutely exceptional and unique. 



I can't explain how much this book opens your eyes to new things and that's one of the main reasons why you have to read this book. If you haven't read it, GO AND BUY IT! 

If you buy the book, enjoy! 

Also, if you haven't already, follow me on Bloglovin!

:) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment